CFIB takes direction from more than 110,000 members in every business sector nationwide, giving independent business a strong and influential voice at all levels of government and helping to grow the economy. We are looking for you to help us deliver on our mission! We have an exciting opportunity for a Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst, National Affairs in our Ottawa Office location.
Reporting to the Vice-President, National Affairs in Ottawa, you will be responsible for the development and coordination of certain legislative, research and communications activities for legislative and policy issues affecting CFIB members.
Highlights of Responsibilities:
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative research and analysis on public policy issues of relevance to small business, with an emphasis on banking and other financial services, tax policy, public finances, labour and social policy.
- Prepare written communications—letters, briefs, reports, presentations—reflecting research results and CFIB position.
- Lobby and represent CFIB at government and external meetings.
- Keep up-to-date with pertinent legislation, economic trends and developments in government policy and determine relevancy to CFIB’s policy direction.
- Ability to grow into a media/public spokesperson
- Assist with responding to inquiries from small business owners.
- Work in collaboration with other colleagues to develop and contribute to the development of internal and external communication to CFIB members and the media including; online and social media channels.
- Strong analytical and research skills to help shape the Legislative Affairs agenda at CFIB.
- Proven ability to write reports, briefs and prepare highly complex material that is presented to employees, members, the general public as well as to government and other interest groups.
- At least three (3) to five (5) years experience in public policy, research, economic or legislative environment.
- Understanding of the small business sector and its role in the Canadian economy, as well as an interest in government relations/politics/public policy.
- Must demonstrate fluent written and verbal communication skills in both French and English.
- University degree in political science, economics, public policy, business administration or equivalent.
- Superior written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to accuracy and thoroughness.
- Expertise in word processing, spreadsheets and graphic packages.
- Work well interdependently in a collaborative environment with cross functional colleagues.
- Work effectively to meet tight and shifting deadlines.
- Ability to use good judgment in dealings with all contacts to maintain the professional image of CFIB.
- Important to be proactive, a self-starter and effective self-manager.
We have a great team in our Ottawa Office. We have an informal but highly professional and collaborative environment. We are conveniently located in close proximity to Parliament and have easy access to OC Transpo.
As Canada’s largest association of small and medium-sized businesses, CFIB is powered by Entrepreneurs™. We never give up and will never go away in advocating for small business.
Be a part of the solution and apply today!